Monday, September 24, 2007

Stop the iTrain! I wanna get off!

An article in switched.com (it's also in today's AOL News) details a new car stereo by the Blaupunkt company that, according to the text, may render the CD player extinct. Basically it plays music off SD or MMC memory cards (iPod users use a universal input jack).

And how long will it be before this thing's obsolete? I wouldn't be surprised if it's decades before the unit itself wears out.

I'm very techno-ignorant. To me, SD means either South Dakota or standard deviation (a statistical term from my scientist days), while MMC is the Roman numeral version of 2100. This new stereo would sure beat my 1990 Oldsmobile's factory radio/cassette player, which doesn't work at all after getting a tape stuck in its craw. I'm using an even more archaic boombox behind the front seat for a radio (its cassette deck bit the dust, too). But electronic technology has become a runaway train that seems to be gaining speed with no end in sight.

My old Win95 computer works fine but no new software is available for it. New versions software comes out faster than you can learn the old ones. And it seems I heard somewhere that television sets won't work unless they're HDTV. And am I going to have to going to switch to Blu-Ray before I've even amassed more than a half-dozen DVDs?

C'mon, world, slow down. We've got more important things to do than trying to stay ahead of this race.

No comments: